1099 Electronic Filing: How to efile 1099 misc and 1096 to IRS Yourself
As business owner, if you hire contractors, you need to furnish each contractor a completed Form 1099 by Jan 31. You also need file 1099-misc Copy A of all paper Forms 1099 with Form 1096, Annual Summary and Transmittal of U.S. Information Returns, with the IRS by Feb 28.
ezW2 can print 1099 misc forms Copy 1, 2, B, C on white paper. IRS does not certify the substitute forms right now. You need to print 1099-misc copy A and 1096 on the red-ink forms.
Here are the steps:
Step 1: Start ezW2, 1099-misc and W2 software.
ezW2 software can prepare, print and efile forms W2, W3, 1096-misc and 1099.
If you do not have ezW2 software installed, you can download the trial version for free from halfpricesoft.com. No registration needed and no obligation. You can follow the step by step online instructions to finish the installation in minutes
This W2 1099 software is compatible with Windows 10 system, 32-bit or 64-bit. It can run on Windows 8.1, 8, 7, XP, Me, 2003 and Vista system too.
Step 2: Set up company information for 1099 reporting
You can access this screen by clicking the top menu “Current Company->Company”.
You need to enter the general company information for w2 and 1099 forms, such as Company Name, Address, Tax ID and others.
Step 3: Set up 1096 information
You can access this screen by clicking the top menu “Current Company->1096 information”.
These information will be displayed on both forms 1099-misc and 1096
Step 4: Add 1099 Recipient(s)
You can access contractor list by clicking the top menu “Current Company->1099 Contractor list”. You can add a new employee or edit or delete an existing one easily by clicking the link on this form.
You can also import contractor information quickly by using 1099 import form. You can access this import form by clicking the top menu “Current Company->Import 1099”.
Step 5: Fill out 1099-misc information
You can access this 1099 editing screen by clicking the top menu “Current Company->Form 1099”.
- The payer information will be filled automatically.
- Once you select the contractor from the contractor list, the recipient information will be filled automatically.
- Fill in the boxes on the 1099 Form.
- Click the Question icon or the instructions link to get help.
- Click the 'save' button to save the 1099 information.
Step 6: Generate EFile Document
If you are new user of IRS EFILE service, you need to apply TCC code (Transmitter Control Code) to generate the efile document.
The efile document is .txt file. You need to upload this file to IRS. Below is a sample Efile document.
Note: This efile document includes Form 1099 and Form 1096 data. You can upload this file to IRS site.
IRS fire site for efile
If you have an account, click "Log On" otherwise, click "Create New Account" and follow the instruction. You can click here to view step by step guide on how to upload 1099 efile document to IRS.
1. Form 1096 will be generate automatically based on form 1099 information
2. ezW2 allows user to set up unlimited companies with one flat rate. So if you have multiple companies or you are an accountant, you can add new company by clicking top menu "Company Management->New company"
3. The .csv file data import feature, PDF print feature and efile feature are available with Enterprise version and Multiple-user version. They are not available with small business version. Click here to view ezW2 feature list
3. If you are a new user of IRS EFILE service, you need to apply TCC code (Transmitter Control Code) to generate the efile document. You also need to create a FIRE account to upload your file.
How to request a transmitter control code (TCC)
If you are new user of IRS efile service, you should request a transmitter control code (TCC) by filling out IRS Form 4419, "Application for Filing Information Returns Electronically."
You need to mail or fax the form to the IRS at least 30 days before the deadline for filing 1099s. The IRS will send your 5-character transmitter control code by mail once the application is approved.
Internal Revenue Service
Information Returns Branch
230 Murall Drive, Mail Stop 4360
Kearneysville, WV 25430
Or fax your completed Form 4419 to:
304-579-4105 (not toll-free)
Upon approval, a five-character alpha/numeric Transmitter Control Code (TCC) will be assigned and mailed to you. Form 4419 should be submitted to IRS at least 30 days before the due date of the returns for current year processing.
How to create a FIRE account
If you are a new user, you need to create a FIRE account on the FIRE system. You need enter your company name, company address, company phone number, contact name and email address.
You can create the account before you get your transmitter control code.
How can I roll forward my previous ezW2 data to the new version?
W2 and 1099 Forms Filing Deadline
How to fill out and print Form W2
How to print Form W2 W3 on White Paper
How to Print Multiple Copies on the same page for employee
How to Print W-2 Data on Red Forms
How to convert W2's into PDF format files
How to eFile W2 W3 Forms
How to print Form W3
How to fill out and print Form 1099-misc
How to eFile 1099-misc Forms
How to Print 1099-misc Forms on Red Forms
How to Convert 1099-misc Forms into PDF file
How to print Form 1096
- Learn more about W2C and W3C
- Learn more about 1099s Software (1099A, 1099B, 1099C, 1099CAP, 1099DIV, 1099G, 1099H, 1099INT, 1099LTC, 1099MISC, 1099OID, 1099PATR, 1099Q, 1099R, 1099S, 1099SA)
- Learn more about 1098s software (1098, 1098C, 1098E, 1098 T) software
- Learn more about 5498s(5498, 5498ESA, 5498SA) software
- Learn more about W2G, 1097BTC, 8935, 3921, 3922 software