1099 Electronic Filing: How to efile 1099 misc and 1096 Forms to IRS Yourself
As business owner, if you hire contractors, you need to furnish each contractor a completed Form 1099 by Jan 31. You also need file 1099-misc Copy A of all paper Forms 1099 with Form 1096, Annual Summary and Transmittal of U.S. Information Returns, with the IRS by Feb 28.
ezW2 can print 1099 misc forms Copy 1, 2, B, C on white paper. IRS does not certify the substitute forms right now. You need to print 1099-misc copy A and 1096 on the red-ink forms.
In this guide, you will find:
Part 1: How to generate the 1099-misc & 1096 efile document
Part 1: How to generate the 1099-misc & 1096 efile document
Step 1.1: Start ezW2, 1099-misc and W2 software.
ezW2 software can prepare, print and efile forms W2, W3, 1096-misc and 1099.
If you do not have ezW2 software installed, you can download the trial version for free from halfpricesoft.com. No registration needed and no obligation. You can follow the step by step online instructions to finish the installation in minutes
This W2 1099 software is compatible with Windows 10 system, 32-bit or 64-bit. It can run on Windows 8.1, 8, 7, XP, Me, 2003 and Vista system too.
Step 1.2: Set up company information for 1099 reporting
You can access this screen by clicking the top menu “Current Company->Company”.
You need to enter the general company information for w2 and 1099 forms, such as Company Name, Address, Tax ID and others.
Step 1.3: Set up 1096 information
You can access this screen by clicking the top menu “Current Company->1096 information”.
These information will be displayed on both forms 1099-misc and 1096
Step 1.4: Add 1099 Recipient(s)
You can access contractor list by clicking the top menu “Current Company->1099 Contractor list”. You can add a new employee or edit or delete an existing one easily by clicking the link on this form.
You can also import contractor information quickly by using 1099 import form. You can access this import form by clicking the top menu “Current Company->Import 1099”.
Step 1.5: Fill out 1099-misc information
You can access this 1099 editing screen by clicking the top menu “Current Company->Form 1099”.
- The payer information will be filled automatically.
- Once you select the contractor from the contractor list, the recipient information will be filled automatically.
- Fill in the boxes on the 1099 Form.
- Click the Question icon or the instructions link to get help.
- Click the 'save' button to save the 1099 information.
Step 1.6: Generate EFile Document
In this step, you need to fill in the submitter information and create one .txt file. This file will include the 1099 forms and 1096 form. You need to upload this file to IRS site.
Transmitter’s TIN: It is the transmitter’s nine-digit Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN). May be an EIN or SSN.
TCC: It is five-character alpha/numeric Transmitter Control Code assigned by IRS/MCC. It is your unique ID to file the 1099s tax forms to IRS electronically.
1. Form 1096 will be generate automatically based on form 1099 information
2. ezW2 allows user to set up unlimited companies with one flat rate. So if you have multiple companies or you are an accountant, you can add new company by clicking top menu "Company Management->New company"
3. The .csv file data import feature, PDF print feature and efile feature are available with Enterprise version and Multiple-user version. They are not available with small business version. Click here to view ezW2 feature list)
3. If you are a new user of IRS EFILE service, you need to apply TCC code (Transmitter Control Code) to generate the efile document. You also need to create a FIRE account to upload your file.
Part 3: How to upgrade ezW2 if I purchased paper printing version
Please contact us for the special upgrade link if you need to efile W2 forms but purchased the license key for paper printing version only. We will send you the upgrade link. You need to pay the price difference plus $5 fee. For example: You purchased ezW2 2018 small business version($39). You can pay extra $45 to upgrade it to the ezW2 2018 enterprise version($79) if you need to efile your froms.
In your message, please tell us the following information:
1. The email you used with your previous ezW2 order. (If you ordered from Amazon, please let us know the Amazon Order ID)
2. What is the new version you need? (ie: ezW2 single-user enterprise version, ezW2 2-user version or others)
Part 4: How to request a transmitter control code (TCC)
All transmitters who file information returns electronically through the Filing Information Returns Electronically (FIRE) system are required to request authorization to file electronically by submitting Form 4419, Application for Filing Information Returns Electronically (FIRE). Submit an online fill-in Form 4419 at FIRE to request an original Transmitter Control Code (TCC) 45 days prior to the due date of the return. If your application is approved, a five-character alphanumeric TCC is assigned to your business.
The IRS encourages transmitters who file for multiple payers to submit one application and use the assigned Transmitter Control Code (TCC) for all payers. The purpose of the TCC is to identify the transmitter of the file. You may transmit files for as many companies as you need under the one TCC.
Only submit a paper Form 4419 when you have an existing Transmitter Control Code (TCC) to:
Revise current TCC information
Request an additional TCC for a form type that you currently have an active TCC or for another form type listed on Form 4419, Block 8
For more information, refer to FIRE or Publication 1220, Specifications for Electronic Filing of Forms 1097, 1098, 1099, 3921, 3922, 5498, and W-2G (PDF).
Part 5: How to create a FIRE account
If you are a new user, you need to create a FIRE account on the FIRE system. You need enter your company name, company address, company phone number, contact name and email address.
You can create the account before you get your transmitter control code.